It is the law to report suspected abuse or neglect. Last year in Dallas County alone, there were 28,803 cases of abuse and neglect reported and investigated.
You can report suspected abuse anonymously by calling the abuse and neglect hotline: 1-800-252-5400.
Community Partners of Dallas and the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) encourage you to become an advocate for children in order to ensure their safety. If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, the law requires you to report it. Section 261.001 of the Texas Family Code defines abuse and neglect in its entirety.
How Do I Make a Report?
- Call the abuse and neglect hotline at 1-800-252-5400.
- Be very specific. Explain exactly what happened and be sure to record all injuries or incidents you observed, including dates and the time of day. Keep this information in a secure location.
- Report as soon as possible. After 48 hours, bruises and marks start to fade, and it is important for the investigators to be able to see the physical signs.
- Give the hotline contact any information you have about the relationship between the child and the suspected abuser.
- At the very least, try to provide following information in your report:
- Child’s name
- Child’s age
- Child’s address
- Brief description of the child
- Child’s current injuries, medical problems or behavioral problems
- Child’s parent’s names and names of siblings in the home
For more information, please visit the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.