Frequently Asked Questions
What is Community Partners of Dallas?
Community Partners of Dallas is a nonprofit organization dedicated to ensuring safety, restoring dignity and inspiring hope for the abused and neglected children served by Dallas County Child Protective Services. We have four programs to meet the needs of CPS caseworkers and the children they work with in Dallas County. There is no other nonprofit agency in the Dallas County area that meets this specific need.
Why is Community Partners of Dallas necessary?
Community Partners of Dallas was established in 1989 by a committed group of Dallas County individuals who wanted to support Child Protective Services. Our founders recognized that caseworkers were dipping into their own pockets to help provide for the families they served, which only added to the stress of caseworkers' jobs. As a result, the agency’s first program was Adopt-A-Caseworker. Over the years, the number of children in protective care has increased significantly, while resources available have not. Community Partners of Dallas has expanded to meet the additional needs of the caseworkers and the children served. Last year we served more than 20,000 children.
What is the Rainbow Room?
Community Partners of Dallas' Rainbow Room is an emergency resource center that allows caseworkers to offer tangible help to families in need. Its walls are painted with bright designs, its shelves overflow with new toys and clothing--just like a retail boutique. This “store” has everything from clothing to blankets, diapers to shoes, hygiene products to home cleaning products. All products are available for caseworkers to bridge the gap for children who come into protective care with nothing more than the clothing on their backs. The Rainbow Room was founded in 1993 and to date more than 180,000 children have been served through this emergency resource center.
Does Community Partners of Dallas accept gently used items?
The Rainbow Room accepts new items only, operating on the credo that "abused and neglected children don't need abused and neglected clothes."
Who supports Community Partners of Dallas?
The bulk of funds and goods to support Community Partners of Dallas come from individuals, corporations and private foundations. Less than 1% of our funding comes from the state. See the Your Gifts at Work page for a more detailed look.
Where are you located?
We are located at 1215 Skiles Street, Dallas, Texas, 75204. Our office, located in the Wilson Historic District, is just northeast of downtown Dallas.
Click here for a map.
Are there other Rainbow Rooms in Texas?
Community Partners of Dallas established the first Rainbow Room in 1993. Laura Bush, a CPD founder, worked to expand the program statewide when she became the First Lady of Texas. Today there are more than 155 Rainbow Rooms throughout the state of Texas.
How can I become involved with Community Partners of Dallas?
We would love the chance to show you our facilities and discuss how we can match your interests with Community Partners of Dallas’ needs.
- There are volunteer opportunities available for individuals, groups, business teams, church groups and other organizations. Please contact Sarah Holden at (214) 624-7559 or email@example.com.
- You can also join our women’s auxiliary, the Partnership, which supports the agency financially and hosts Caseworker Appreciation activities throughout the year. Please contact Shelby Busse, Partnership liaison, at (214) 624-7621 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you a man or woman in your 20’s or 30’s? yCPD, the young friends group that supports CPD, is the place for you! You will have opportunities to meet others in the Dallas community, volunteer and learn more about the kids we serve. Please contact Shelby Busse, yCPD liaison, at (214) 624-7621 or email@example.com.
- We accept many in-kind donations of new items for our drives as well as for the Rainbow Room. For recommendations on our greatest current needs, please contact Ashley Wenzel, Program Manager at (214) 624-7622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Financial contributions are of course always welcomed. Joanna Clarke, Vice President of Development, would be happy to discuss giving with you. Please contact her at (214) 624-7584 or email@example.com.
How do I contact Community Partners of Dallas?
Our main phone number is (214) 624-7557. Call there to be directed to more information.